Monday, March 29, 2010

Why Sunday, Why???

Growing up I did everything I could to not go to church. I would fake illness (never worked), constantly go to the bathroom during the sermon (just got in trouble) until I finally realized that I could volunteer to keep the nursery and then I was technically helping, not skipping. So, I did. I kept the nursery so much that I was eventually added to the payroll. It wasn't a lot of money, but it was nice to be able to have some spending money. So, yes, I was the child that was paid to go to church.

As an adult I have a greater appreciation for church and I do enjoy going and listening to the sermons; however, now that I have Trenton things they are a changing.

EVERY Sunday since the Ellis family has been going to church with Trenton, he gets sick. One weekend, RSV, another an ear infection. If he isn't sick, he is a t-total fussy, fussy baby all afternoon! So, God with his sense of humor, did not fail us this Sunday. I had been putting Trenton in the nursery during church and the ladies were super nice and he seemed to be doing fine, but he was always sick. Yes, it is a different room than we normally put him in, but still.

This Sunday I kept him out of the nursery and took him to church. There is never a lack of babysitters in the congregation and Trenton does serve as a great distraction. If you have met Trenton, you know he makes a lot of noise when he breathes. A wonderful person at Church put it best, "when I hear Trenton honk when he breathes, it reminds me of what a miracle he is." I was so touched by this. Trenton is my little miracle and sometimes I forget everything we have been through. Well, it is true he makes noise and this noise can be loud once the music stops and the preaching starts....my Mom tried to shush him, but clearly that won't work. So, I had to excuse us from the sermon. I went right outside the doors and fed him until the sermon was over and everything was fine.

After Church we went to Cheddar's. Trenton was asleep, so I thought we would be fine. I was wrong. Apparently, the lighting in Cheddars makes me scary because Trenton woke up, looked at me and smiled. Then I started talking and he was fine. The next time I looked at him he FROWNED and then BURST into tears and screaming. This is not a normal cry, this was like a straight out of a scary movie cry. I scared him. It almost made me cry. Soon he got over it, but he was not happy for the rest of the meal. He didn't cry, just wasn't having it. We go home. He fights sleep, fights the bottle, he is just not in the mood for anything.

He takes about a 30 minute nap, wakes up, eats, and back to fussing. Finally around 5:40 he falls asleep. I go to the grocery store and he sleeps through that. Trenton sleeps from 5:40pm until 4:30am! HE is exhausted.
There is something about Sunday that is not a good day for him. I am not sure that is a good sign.

We didn't even get to see Granny because Trenton would not calm down! I guess it is true, your child is always ten times worse than you were growing up, so Trenton is going to be using different excuses, but excuses nonetheless to get out of church!

No comments:

Post a Comment